[Libreoffice] Making our Own Banned.h

Marc-André Laverdière marc-andre at atc.tcs.com
Sun Jun 19 21:21:07 PDT 2011

Hello list.

As you all know, there are a bunch of old C APIs that make security
vulnerabilities trivial to implement. And doing a git grep tells me that
we use those a plenty.

Now, not all of it may create vulnerabilities, but it is good practice
to migrate away from those as much as possible.

Microsoft has compiled a useful list:

And they have made a header (I'm attaching here) that works on their
compiler.

Now, I think we should make it multi-platform, so that the whole code
base can benefit from it. The transition must be gradual, for sure, but
I think we'd benefit a lot from it in the long run.

What are the compilers that we must handle?
  - Gcc TODO
  - Microsoft's DONE
  - Sun's cc family ???
  - Intel's ???