[Libreoffice] Making our Own Banned.h

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 07:03:55 PDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 5:31 AM, Caolán McNamara <caolanm at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-06-20 at 09:51 +0530, Marc-André Laverdière wrote:
>> Hello list.
>>
>> Now, I think we should make it multi-platform, so that the whole code
>> base can benefit from it. The transition must be gradual, for sure, but
>> I think we'd benefit a lot from it in the long run.
>
> I have to say, I'm kind of unenthusiastic about deprecating strlen and
> memcpy.

Same here.

There are plenty of legitimate safe use of these functions, including
in performance critical sections.

Beside the so-called 'safe' memcpy, for example,  is only 'safe' if it
is being audited anyway against abuse ( memcpy(d,s,count) ->
memcpy_s(d, count, s, count))
so the _s create a false sens of security...

Norbert