[Libreoffice] minutes of tech steering call ...

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 16:32:13 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 6:11 PM, Cor Nouws <oolst at nouenoff.nl> wrote:
> Michael Meeks wrote (23-06-11 20:27)
>
>> * Posting TSC minutes on the blog ...
>>        + Norbert: wording is very terse, not enough context, not suitable
>>          for mass public consumption.
>>        + Suggestion: needs to be expanded, and made more comprehensible,
>>          someone who wants that can/should do it.
>
> Short highlights  + link to mail archive might be useful too..

I think the problem is not to make them shorter, but to make them
'longer', more digestible for people who do not follow these call and
the dev-ML in general.
I'm thinking about the difference between reading the linux-kernel
mailing list and reading, once a week an highlight of the noticeable,
interesting event by Colbert on LWN.
The later is a great thing, I enjoy very much reading them... but I,
for one, would be completely incapable to do what Jonathan Corbet
does, even If I read every email of linux-kernel and had nothing else
to do but that...

Proper reporting for a wider audience is a skill in and of itself.

Giving these 'minutes' as-is to a wider audience is begging for
blogger and journalist to mis-understand and mis-quote them. Most of
them would not use such minute for a dev ML as a 'source', but if TDF
'publish' them, then it is another ballgame...

I mean, looks at what happen, even when communication expert spend
time to have a long conversation with a journalist: the headline is
'TDF not production-ready until August'.
So now imagine th same journalist, which is very unlikely to scour the
dev-ML for info, now get that terse and lingo-prone summary in his
rss-feed ? I dare not imagine what the next 'headline' will be....

Norbert