[Libreoffice] minutes of tech steering call ...

Cor Nouws oolst at nouenoff.nl
Fri Jun 24 00:21:34 PDT 2011

plino wrote (24-06-11 09:03)
> Cor Nouws wrote:
>>
>> Well, I don't see any betas coming for the 3.4.x branch, so whether is
>> has been added or not, does not make sense.
>
> Unless TDF is going to adopt the absurd Chrome (and now Firefox) version
> model, the next version should be 3.5.0 indeed.

Hmm - apart from your off topic comment on Chrome/FireFox - I see no
rationale for that.
There is a monthly schedule for bug-fix releases that is very important
for all kind of users. See http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan

> I guess we (Windows users) will have to wait :)

Wait for what? I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

>> I only can point to my favourite page:
>> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_in_parallel
>>
>> I hope that helps people to run more versions (early versions) on
>> Windows too, so that it give them the opportunity to give feed back in
>> an early stage.
>
> As I mentioned before, that is useful for a very limited number of Windows
> users.

But those that can, should use it and help others...

> If TDF wants a significant number of  Windows beta testers that
> simply won't do.

And as known, 3.5 betas will install without conflict with the 3.4.x
installation, so where is the problem?

>> (Personal note: I really appreciate that I have not (or only seldom) to
>> work with Windows any more. Public drawback: I cannot do serious testing
>> there and already find it hard to understand, to follow the items going
>> on Windows.)
>
> I'm sure more Windows users would be available for serious testing if TDF
> took the Windows users more seriously and in proportion to the platform
> importance (given the sheer number of users)

I know no evidence that Windows (users) is (are) not taken seriously.
I think it will help if people try more serious to improve on where we
are, also with QA/testing, rather then complain.

Best,

--
  - Cor
  - http://nl.libreoffice.org