[Libreoffice] patch for make to help in gbuild debugging

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Mon Jun 27 04:03:16 PDT 2011

On Sat, 2011-06-25 at 15:44 -0500, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
> > I submitted the patch to the bug-make mailing list
>
> Note that, even if the patch is accepted by upstream, based on their
> recent 'schedule', It won't probably be available in a 'realeased'
> version until 2014 or something... so don't hold your breath.

	You know; the temptation to check-in and build our own gnumake is
growing on me ;-) you know you want to (TM) ... IMHO there are a few
nonsensical things that are done of utter pointlessness in there.

	It takes me only ~10 seconds to compile (and the same to configure
(urk)) gnumake.

	My current incremental, no-op tail_build takes:

real	0m18.519s
user	0m17.679s
sys	0m0.769s

	Which seems too slow (and it's set to get worse) - 500ms or more of
that seems to be in verify_file_database() eg. which just wanders around
banging on the L2 cache checking strings are still strings to no useful
purpose ;-) but no doubt there is a lot more that we can do to get this
improved.

	ATB,

		Michael.