[Libreoffice] patch for make to help in gbuild debugging

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 10:37:29 PDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Tor Lillqvist <tlillqvist at novell.com> wrote:
>>> If we do that, we definitely should then also add built-in mkdir and cp
>>> commands in it,
>>
>> Hmm, or actually, I don't think that will be such a great win after all, as the gbuild recipies where tons of mkdir commands are being run typically are in a shell expression with && anyway, so they couldn't be run as "built-in" simple make commands anyway. Forget it.
>
> Yeah, but maybe there is something to be investigated to avoid fork
> when running recipies... I've read somewhere that spawn was much more
> performant than fork under cywin (note: I don;t know if make already
> do that or not, nor what are the implication...)
>
> Another thing: I think most of these mkdir could be avoided at the
> cost of another layer of dependencies: create rules for every target
> so that the parent directory is a pre-req target and have rules for
> directories to build them... that should put most of the the workload
> on make itself an limit drastically the number of mkdir...

Another solution is a quick and dirty path to make to have ot try to
create the base directory of a target before running a recipe for it.
i don't like it because it will never be accepted upstream and would
prevent building without a patched version...
But since there is a platform/* support we could have conditional on
windows to not do the mkdir if we have the 'right' make.
(iow maintain the buidability with a vanilla make, but still improve
perf when a 'lo-make' is available.)

Norbert