[Libreoffice] patch for make to help in gbuild debugging

Thorsten Behrens thb at documentfoundation.org
Wed Jun 29 08:20:21 PDT 2011

Lubos Lunak wrote:
>  It is not another dmake, as I understand it, as you cannot simply nuke our
> dmake copy now and expect things to still work, whereas that would work with
> a gnumake copy as long as that one's extensions were kept to "unimportant"
> features like better debugging or performance. If the extensions are pushed
> upstream, the copy is synced to upstream, and the extensions are not relied
> upon,

A few too many "ifs" to make me feel comfortable. You end up with
not being able to build without the in-tree gmake in no time - and
bingo, you're coding against a single implementation again.

>  During the 3.x times KDE used a home-brewn automake+make replacement (called
> unsermake ... don't ask) that supported a subset of automake+make
> functionality and while people could still build using automake+make if they
> wished so for whatever strange reason, using unsermake was just so much
> better.

I fail to see the point you're trying to make - the proposal at hand
looks more like a superset, not a subset. ;)

Cheers,

-- Thorsten