[Libreoffice] Windows installer size reduction effort - the compression theory

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Tue Mar 1 02:04:12 PST 2011

Hi Wols,

On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 00:21 +0000, Wols Lists wrote:
> I checked on wikipedia after I posted and Huffman is actually SIXTY
> years old! Set as a class project, and published in 1952.

	I tried to gently correct your thesis that Huffman is -the- optimal
compression algorithm for all things; it may be for a specific
symbol-by-symbol case, but in real-world use cases it can clearly be
improved on. In my (contrived) case the "save as a perl script" gives a
massive compression advantage, QED.

> So zip should be tricky to beat for compression if it actually uses
> Huffman, although I would expect it to take ages.

	Again - wikipedia states so, my experience says so - why don't you
think it does ? :-)

	ATB,

		Michael.