[Libreoffice] OString += OString + char ... ?

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Tue Mar 1 12:51:08 PST 2011

On Mon, 2011-02-28 at 22:50 +0100, Sébastien Le Ray wrote:
> Le Mon, 28 Feb 2011 21:45:36 +0000,
> Caolán McNamara <caolanm at redhat.com> a écrit :
> > On Sun, 2011-02-27 at 04:27 -0500, Kevin Hunter wrote:
> > Three possibilities I guess, 
> > 
> > 1) remove the "explicit", but I'm sure its there due to some other
> > horribly implicit conversion horror
> > 2) add a operator+(sal_Char), either one that "just works", or one
> > that raises an error at compile time.
> > 3) remove the const sal_Char* conversion operator (I'm tempted towards
> > this one)
> If someone takes this, he/She should add a operator[](int) to allow
> byChar access (or a getChar method)...

I did a demo test on this, and I think removing the cast operator is the
way to go and adding a operator[] which silently replaces it in the vast
majority of cases. I found at least two places where people already fell
into the same trap as in your example, e.g. the one now fixed by
44447f718d95d002815eb6f176692132f077770f in libs-core and some others.

Also a bunch of horrors where there's a "addRelation" method which takes
two strings and a boolean, but is passed three strings in loads of
places, where the final string is auto-converted to a sal_Unicode*, and
its NULL/non-NULL value taken as the final bool. Sigh. (unfixed btw, see
call of addRelation in oox/source/export/drawingml.cxx as an example)

Along with a rash of places where we fairly pointlessly construct a
OString from a string literal, and pass the OString to something which
actually takes a const char* which works because of the conversion


More information about the LibreOffice mailing list