[Libreoffice] Calc Standard Filter behaviour

Kohei Yoshida kyoshida at novell.com
Wed Mar 9 12:45:30 PST 2011

Hello Christoph,

On Wed, 2011-03-09 at 21:22 +0100, Christoph Noack wrote:

> > On Tue, 2011-03-08 at 19:24 +0000, Tibby Lickle wrote:
> [...]
> > Now, to me the best solution is to *not* show any auto completion value
> > in the text box itself, but to show a little popup box with possible
> > auto-completion options to choose from, while leaving the typed value in
> > the box intact.  But this would require a little more coding and could
> > potentially become more difficult to figure out.  So I think the above
> > solution would be good enough, and much better than what we have now.
>
> Is it really helpful to use auto-completion in this box (in this special
> case)? As far as I can understand, users enter values because they there
> is no selection available in the drop-down box. Or is the hard part (the
> coding you mentioned) disabling / removing auto-completion?

Actually, you raise a very interesting point.  Why do we even have auto
completion here? :-)  And yes, I agree the best solution in this case
may be to remove this auto completion altogether.  Since we already have
a drop-down list to show us what the candidates are, doing
auto-completion may be just redundant (and causes trouble obviously).

> Don't know whether this helped ...

It did.  The idea of removing auto completion would never have occurred
to me otherwise. ;-)

Tibby, what do you think?  Does this sound reasonable?

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice hacker, Calc
<kyoshida at novell.com>