[Libreoffice] [libreoffice-design] Re: [PUSHED] fdo#31251 - Improve default page layout

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Thu Mar 10 03:01:27 PST 2011

Hi Thorsten, all,

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:25:32 +0100
Thorsten Behrens <thb at documentfoundation.org> wrote:

> Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> > > For a developer interested in working on a certain topic it would
> > > be easier to get a final voting like
> > > "The Design Team asks you to add a 8 px wide blurred shadow in
> > > grey transparency to all borders of the document. If the zoom
> > > factor reduces the space between two sheets to less than 16px, the
> > > overlapping areas of the shadow should be cut off. This should
> > > apply to every area of LibreOffice, where document borders are
> > > visible, namely Writer, Impress, Draw, XML forms [others not yet
> > > searched for]."
> >
> > I am afraid you are very wrong there. It is not at all easier -- it
> > is a lot harder -- and a lot less fun (the stuff that motivates
> > volunteers).
> >
> Speaking for myself here - I'd consider it *helpful* to get
> direction on those details. For me, it's not telling me how to code,
> but what to put into all those magic constant values needed for UI -
> I'd otherwise would need to trial-and-error those out, which is
> non-fun (for me).

Yes, of course working together is best. What bugged me here is that
the bug on fdo was reopened before there was actually a consensus on
how it can be done better. And the discussion about the bug was not
even linked there.

Keep in mind that closing a bug is a great boon for the developer --
dont take it away from him two days after he proudly closed it without a
clear message on what to do better.

> Besides, at least those bike-shed-color issues, are usually
> trivially fixable after-the-fact ... ;)

Exactly. Christoph applauded Sébastien for staying calm through all of
this. I have to agree and ask others to follow his example: If you
see some changes on master that you do not like: dont panic, create a
well founded argument and then come forward with it.

Best Regards,

Bjoern

--
https://launchpad.net/~bjoern-michaelsen