[Libreoffice] FYI: Some comments on OOo

Nguyen Vu Hung (KiEi) vuhung at ki-ei.com
Thu Mar 10 08:28:08 PST 2011

Hello all,

FYI, I got this email from the list..

Dear OpenOffice Crew,
In fact i am/was a very satisfied OpenOffice customer. Ive been using it
for 4 years now and i never had a problem. But for the last time (let's
say for about a year) OpenOffice is getting worse instead of improving.
Its getting more and more likely to its greatest concurrent -
Microsoft's Word - with all the good, but moreover the negative aspects :
-whenever you work with more than 3 OpenOffice documents at a time, the
program gets very slow, the spell-checker stops to work, copy-pasting
gets impossible (yes : impossible : you can copy but you cannot paste
anymore)
-if you try to copy a text/image from an internet browser (it doesnt
matter if mozilla or microsoft, i tried them all) OpenOffice just
"hangs" itself up and you have to restart it.
-ive had the version 3.2 of OpenOffice, which already had all the
problems listed above. But just now i downloaded the 3.3 version : what
a mess! i just wanted to print a text, but when the "print" box opend, i
was shocked : there was a completely different menu ! what happened to
the old one? it is as if OpenOffice would not recognize my HP printer
anymore ! i was always used to choose the "quick/economical printing"
menu, but it was gone ! i cannot change any printing modalities anymore
!!! what should i do? de-install and re-install my printer? sorry
guys/gals but i prefer to kick Open Office from my computer !
To resume, OpenOffice has 2 huge problems at the moment :
1) it degraded itself to a simple copy-cat of Microsoft and lost all
aspects of individuality and innovation. where are the new ideas? stop
just copying world'st most popular text-program in the hope of getting a
piece of the cake. You'll just loose your "good old" clients
2) another major problem is the compatibility with other programs.
Whenever something else than OpenOffice is in the game (Microsoft, HP,
Mozilla) you'll be sure you'll get some problems
By the way let me say that I am not a big fan of pointless criticising,
i just want to give you some points you hopefully will reflect on.
Dear regards
Bourguignon Laura