[Libreoffice] Embedding LibreOffice in SWT on Linux

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Fri Mar 25 08:25:44 PDT 2011

Hi there,

On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 05:43 -0700, bt10000 wrote:
> I am using the officebean approach to embed LibreOffice in an SWT
> application on Linux.

	What fun :-) you are treading well away from the beaten path I think.

> I am facing a problem where the embedded window cannot get focus and so you
> cannot type into it.

	Sounds like a nightmare. Then again - if you're using XEmbed across
processes, there will be all sorts of problems I'm afraid; keyboard
navigation is just not going to work eg. global keybindings are just not
there (cf. the problems you get with flash inside mozilla etc).

> If you select window -> new window and type in the new window, the text
> appears in the new window and the embedded window (not a very nice work
> around).
..
> Any pointers on how to debug  or help fix this would be greatly appreciated.

	You'll prolly need a build of libreoffice, and a build debug=true of
vcl/ - that might spew some helpful looking warning. Also I'd try to
isolate it to the widget plugin; do: export SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gen vs.
gtk to check that it is not some widget integration / backend problem.

	Here be dragons though :-)

	HTH,

		Michael.