[Libreoffice] plugin for advanced engineering calculationsand

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Tue Mar 29 06:31:30 PDT 2011

Hi Luiz,

On Tue, 2011-03-29 at 08:08 -0300, Luiz Henrique Natalino wrote:
> I'm having a task to develop a plugin for advanced engineering
> calculationsand use this resource in libreoffice, like the lords of
> the ropes.

	Nice ! :-) So - I guess the first question is: does it really need to
be a plugin ? if these are generally useful formulae (or whatever) it
can be best to simply have them included in the product itself.
Inclusion really helps you - maintained by other people, helps to scale
contribution, translation goes through the normal flow etc. etc.

> 1) What do you interface development Usage?

	Well; VCL if you're writing C++, failing that there is some horrible
UNO interface for VCL in the toolkit/ module.

> 2) You can place this contribution in libreoffice?

	Of course - it is more than welcome; it needs to be dual-licensed
MPL/LGPLv3+ to be included though - a license template is in bootstrap/

> 3) where the documentation located?

	Good question :-) there is sparse-to-non-existent documentation around
the place. Some of the UNO interfaces are documented, but in general
asking people on IRC is a good move, and/or finding an existing plugin
or feature that is most similar to what you want :-)

	First - get a build that you can compile and run, that is easiest on
Linux of course.

	For calc (for example), the code is in the sc/ module - have a poke
around in there. If you just want to add some functions scaddins/ has
some UNO based function implementations that might be fun to base on.

	What else - is there an existing dialog that does something similar to
what you want ? we can dig out the code for that for you to read.

	All the best,

		Michael.