[Libreoffice] Strange filesystems-related enum in libs-gui/tools

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Sun May 1 13:40:40 PDT 2011

Hi,

libs-gui/tools/inc/tools/fsys.hxx defines a FSysPathStyle enum, which is used
by different files in libs-gui/tools/source/fsys/

This enum contains names which are related to different filesystem or
filesystem/operating system combinations (most of them obsolete) like
FSYS_STYLE_MSDOS, FSYS_STYLE_HPFS, FSYS_STYLE_SYSV, etc...

I've not looked at all the code using these names yet but this seems
quite bogus: what business has a regular desktop application knowing
the details of the filesystem used ?

So far the only functions making use of this enum I've looked in details
are either :
  - never called in all the LibreOffice code base.
  - moronic (like choosing to use ':' as path separator if the filesystem
    is FSYS_STYLE_MAC; that was only ever true on Macs running MacOS <= 9,
	10 years ago ...)

Is there a reasonable explanation for the existence of this enum or am I free
to rip it out and clean all the code using it ?

--
Francois Tigeot