[Libreoffice] source Java

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Fri May 6 03:56:04 PDT 2011

Hi Luiz,

On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 16:36 +0200, Jesús Corrius wrote:
> I am making a library of advanced engineeringcalculations (polynomial
> of degree greater thanseven (real and complex roots), theorem
> newtow, discards) among other functions

	Cool :-)

> but the source codeis in java

	Not so cool :-)

> and would provide the libreoffice make it possible for scientists
> and engineers use. So I would know how to do this integration and
> isallowed?.

	If we're going to bundle this stuff, I would strongly prefer it to be
in C++ in this instance here are few reasons why:

	* performance - marshalling each function call and arguments
	  via UNO to Java is a disaster: so for heavy engineering
	  function usage, this is not a good idea.

	* dependencies - lots of (particularly Windows) users don't
	  have Java, and things that require it create very annoying
	  usability problems

	* re-factoring #2 - I (for one) have plans to re-write the
	  calc computation & storage engine to be substantially faster,
	  this may require a chunk of re-work to functions themselves,
	  across languages that is harder.

	So - if you can write in C++, and are happy with the MPL/LGPLv3+
dual-license, I'd love to get your stuff included.

	Do you have a build of LibreOffice ? I'd recommend getting one first -
that is easiest on Linux. Then poke around inside
sc/source/core/tool/interpr*.cxx to see how some existing functions work
I suppose :-)

	HTH,

		Michael.