[Libreoffice] [GSOC] Progress Report

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Mon May 9 01:46:02 PDT 2011

Hi Xisco,

On Sun, 2011-05-08 at 23:02 +0200, Xisco Faulí wrote:
> My task during the GSOC period is going to be the conversion of the
> Wizard menus into python.

	Nice :-)

> I met Björn Michäelsen last monday and we decided, on broad lines, the
> course to follow. First I'll create a basic fax design using pyuno,
> then I'll make it customized and finally I'll create the GUI. Once the
> fax wizard is done, I'll move on with the other wizards.

	Ooh :-) so - I had always assumed that there is probably a -lot- of
mileage in using an automatic Java -> Python converter. This is because
our Java code uses (primarily) OO.o / UNO APIs that should map to python
quite nicely (perhaps with some converter tweaks). Our UNO / Abstract
Windowing Toolkit ('awt') APIS are used instead of the native Java AWT
eg.

> This week I've been studying the java code in order to see what things
> do and playing around a bit with Pyuno and the GUI. I've tried to
> create some text components and some GUI dialogs. So far it's going
> good although I've had problem with a few things I have to take a
> deeper look.

	Great :-) My problem was that ooinstall doesn't seem to install the
python scripting extension:

	solver/300/unxlngi6.pro/bin/script-provider-for-python.oxt

	which is deadly annoying ;-) but anyhow; here are some links:

	http://code.google.com/p/j2p/
	http://code.google.com/p/java2python/
	http://debedb.blogspot.com/2007/03/java-to-python-converter.html

	Personally, I would prefer an automated conversion to a manual one: not
only because it should go quicker, but also be more reliable (in theory)
- and hopefully more re-usable for other Java-bits we have.

	But of course Bjoern is your mentor :-) you need to please him.

	ATB,

		Michael.