[Libreoffice] Mac OS X Discussion of Using Xcode and SDK >= 10.6

Tor Lillqvist tlillqvist at novell.com
Tue May 10 11:54:18 PDT 2011

> One might (repeat might) be able to graft a nice GUI front end (a.k.a Xcode)
> and invoke the existing build mechanism.

Well, sure, yeah. An Xcode project can (from quite limited experience here, so forgive me for inaccuracies in terminology) include build steps where an arbitrary shell script is executed. And other build steps (compiling source files, linking, etc) can be omitted. So yeah, one could have an Xcode project that just runs "make". Will that be useful? No idea. One thing that is sure is that Xcode will not have any idea about what C++ classes etc are involved. But maybe it will be able to parse error messages and open up corresponding source files at right places in its editor at least?

Once we have a fully gbuildified tree, running "make" from the top level might in fact be what one typically does, even in a developer use case where one is editing some source files and doing just incremental builds of some small part of the code repeatedly.

--tml