[Libreoffice] [REVIEW] Oracle Report Builder corrupting chart objects

Kohei Yoshida kyoshida at novell.com
Tue May 17 10:02:45 PDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 10:24 +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:

> > 2. Remove the type detection definition for the chart2.Document type
> > from the report builder itself.  This can be done by the
> > report-builder-dont-act-like-chart-handler.diff patch.  This will
> > prevent ORB from advertising itself as the chart filter provider.
>
> 	Did you manage to play with the ORB chart feature ? I would strongly
> prefer a potential, transient breakage there, than an ODF
> incompatibility that will create broken files when we save ;-)

No I didn't manage to play with ORB much since I'm not much of a Base
user and ORB crashes left and right even when I tried to do some basic
stuff of making a simple report with default everything.

Plus, I briefly looked into the ORB code and didn't find *any* code that
may handle chart rendering or chart data exporting of sort (based solely
on some basic grepping for 'Chart').  It seems that it just simply
re-routes all the charting requests to the default chart2 code.  So,
when ORB itself doesn't add any new chart functionality, why act like a
provider?  That was the rationale behind this patch.

Anyway, maybe I'm wrong and maybe ORB does provide some extra charting
functionality.  Like I said, I didn't really look deeper into the code.

> > I think option 1 is pretty safe, but I don't really know if this would
> > cause any side effect in other, unexpected places.  For instance, the
> > latest ORB seems to claim some limited charting functionality, and this
> > may mess that up, or perhaps it may not.
>
> 	Well - it sounds like the ORB is pretty messy anyway :-) so ... can it
> really make it much worse if it crashes the whole app left and right ?

Heh.  I'm absolutely fine with that. ;-)

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice hacker, Calc
<kyoshida at novell.com>