[Libreoffice] python / XInvocation snafu ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Thu May 19 07:05:26 PDT 2011

Hi there,

	So - it seems the reason the python binding was crashing, is that most
objects would have the XInvocation2 interface[1] provided in some magic
way - but it seems that, the few classes that implement XInvocation[2]
don't get that - so well, we all crash:

        Reference<XInvocation2> tmp_invocation (tmp_interface, UNO_QUERY);
..
        self->members->xInvocation = tmp_invocation;

	and later ...

            Sequence<OUString> oo_member_list;
            oo_member_list = me->members->xInvocation->getMemberNames ();

	bang :-) (xInvocation will be null).

	So - I just pushed a patch to at least throw a nice, helpful exception
for this.

	Unfortunately - com.sun.star.resource.VclStringResourceLoader is one of
the few classes to do this cf. extensions/source/resource/resource.cxx

	So - if we want to use this class from Python, we need to work out:

	a) what the heck is going on in that resource.cxx class :-)
		+ why is it implementing XInvocation - there seems to be
		  no really good reason for this.
		+ particularly since getDefaultInvocation just returns
		  null always ;-)

	b) should we just re-write it as a clean interface, instead of
	   this 'orrible mess ?

	c) if so - we should unwind the mess in Wizards, explicitly
	   doing pointless lifting like:

         final String IDString = (String)
xInvocation.invoke("getString", nIDArray, PointerArray, DummyArray);

	    I imagine.

	Bjoern - perhaps you can look into that if this is a key class to be
using for the GSOC project ?

	Thanks,

		Michael.

[1] - udkapi/com/sun/star/script/XInvocation2
[2] - udkapi/com/sun/star/script/XInvocation1