[Libreoffice] OneGit(tm) migration plan

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Sat May 21 15:52:47 PDT 2011

The fact that our source is spread among 20 git repositories has been
a source of grief and quite a common complaint from people joining the
project.

Recently there ave been some tests conducted to see if having just one
big git repo would be viable from a performace stand-point.

Björn Michaelsen did some preliminarily measurement  that indicated
that it would be bearable, and this has been discussed few times
during Technical Steering Committee's conference calls.
The consensus emerging is that the benefit outweigh the cost.

I have been working on setting-up a concrete plan on how to do this migration.

I have put what I have come-up with so far on our Wiki
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/One_Git_Conversion

This is still a work in progress, and there are small and full scale
test to be conducted.
Planning and exact deployment plan are also very much a work in progress.

Never-the-less the general idea is to try to do this migration sightly
after 3.4.2, so roughly in the August 2011 time-frame.

Comments and suggestion are welcomed on the 'Discussion Page'
associated in the Wiki.

Please do not  do substantial change to the main page without
discussing it first. (fixing my horrible English spelling/grammar is
fine, of course :-) )

Norbert