[Libreoffice] Platform-specific DLL suffix usefulness

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Sun May 22 09:45:53 PDT 2011

Hi,

I've recently created a pkgsrc package for LibreOffice, and been burned
by the DLLPOSTFIX / gb_Library_DLLPOSTFIX suffix added to library file
names.

I'm sure there was a good reason to use it in 1988. Or maybe not, I can't
possibly pretend to know.
What I would like to know is if there's still a reason to use this suffix
in 2011.

It would tremendously simplify packaging to use the same file names on all
platforms.
I currently have to find a way to extract the suffix from the build
configuration or recreate it in my packaging scripts and use it to create
the file list, which is a bit of a maintainability nightmare to say the
least...

Any thoughts on this subject ?

--
Francois Tigeot