[Libreoffice] [REVIEW] Fix crash from forms.OGridControlModel unoapitests

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Tue May 24 04:44:52 PDT 2011

Hi Michael,

On Tue, 24 May 2011 10:52:29 +0100
Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at novell.com>
wrote:

> > Note that many of us were (and still are?) focusing on stabilizing
> > the 3.4 branch and didn't have a working master.

Which is just plain wrong and needs immediate fixing. Keeping master
buildable must be as high in priority as doing that with the release
branch. Otherwise we need to be honest about it and closing master
during releases, because there is no value in it for either new or old
developers as is.

> 	Quite - the logical consequence of not doing that is either:
>
> 	a) cherry picking to a diverging branch without build testing
> or	b) having to build test a fix on both master and
> libreoffice-3-4
>
> 	There is a lot of angst about non-building master at the
> moment ;-) so I assume you are asking for b) - which, since it is
> rather more resource hungry will result in a lower quality product,
> and more de-motivated developers :-) [ or not ? ]

No, it is not. Volume of patches for the release branch should be low.
Or at least much lower than for master. Taking ten patches, reviewing
them, applying them to master, building from scratch and
subsequenttesting is not more work than doing that for one patch. It is
much less work than taking one patch at a time and reviewing it alone
on the release branch only. A full build without ccache needs 1 hour 5
min here on average dev hardware. With ccache its down to ~15 minutes.
All it needs is a bit of coordination.

Leaving master mostly unattended during releases will just hurt us
seriously in the long run. Hunting down issues over longer sets of
changes just costs resources. What is even more expensive are the
things that go in and cause issues which are totally unnoticed.

> Naturally, it is annoying to see work & fixes duplicates too - I
> suppose the best way to fix this is to help kendy (and/or whomever)
> expedite the m106 merge and back-merge to master - can you help out
> with that Bjoern ? indications are that it is at a promising stage
> anyway.

Indeed: There is little use in joining me in there as of now. However,
already commited myself to merge in cws gnumake4. We will need to see
what we can do with the other unmerged cws.

Best,

Bjoern

--
https://launchpad.net/~bjoern-michaelsen