[Libreoffice] OneGit(tm) migration plan

Simos Xenitellis simos.lists at googlemail.com
Tue May 24 15:40:52 PDT 2011

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 1:52 AM, Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud at gmail.com> wrote:
> The fact that our source is spread among 20 git repositories has been
> a source of grief and quite a common complaint from people joining the
> project.
>
> Recently there ave been some tests conducted to see if having just one
> big git repo would be viable from a performace stand-point.
>
> Björn Michaelsen did some preliminarily measurement  that indicated
> that it would be bearable, and this has been discussed few times
> during Technical Steering Committee's conference calls.
> The consensus emerging is that the benefit outweigh the cost.
>
> I have been working on setting-up a concrete plan on how to do this migration.
>
> I have put what I have come-up with so far on our Wiki
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/One_Git_Conversion

I got slightly different figures for the .git/ of each repository.
Instead of 1666MB total, I got 1350MB.
You may have to run 'git gc' on your repositories.
I got the 1350MB figure by testing with fresh clones.
Tell me if you want me to update the wiki page with these figures.

Simos

> This is still a work in progress, and there are small and full scale
> test to be conducted.
> Planning and exact deployment plan are also very much a work in progress.
>
> Never-the-less the general idea is to try to do this migration sightly
> after 3.4.2, so roughly in the August 2011 time-frame.
>
> Comments and suggestion are welcomed on the 'Discussion Page'
> associated in the Wiki.
>
> Please do not  do substantial change to the main page without
> discussing it first. (fixing my horrible English spelling/grammar is
> fine, of course :-) )
>

> Norbert

Q. Why is top posting bad?