[Libreoffice] syntax error in ./configure

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com
Sun May 29 06:30:02 PDT 2011

Hi Regina, *,

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 12:24 AM, Regina Henschel
<rb.henschel at t-online.de> wrote:
> I have unpacked the source provided in
> http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/pre-releases/src/
>
> I run ./autogen.sh and get this error
>
> checking whether to enable fontconfig support... ./configure: line 7229:
> syntax error near unexpected token `FONTCONFIG,'
> ./configure: line 7229: `   PKG_CHECK_MODULES(FONTCONFIG, fontconfig >=
> 2.2.0)'
>
> What to do?

Install pkg-config / the corresponding m4 macros - the
PKG_CHECK_MODULES should have been replaced by the corresponding
(expanded) check. But your autoconf system doesn't know what to
replace it with, and thus writes it into configure in the unexpanded
macro-form.

> I'm working with cygwin on WinXp and MCVC 2008 Express.

For mac (that doesn't come with pkg-config either), we include
m4/mac/pkg.m4 to get the keyword/macro expanded.

But then of course when you don't have pkg-config installed, all kinds
of checks might not find their target (on Mac, many are hardcoded,
because you can be sure where the stuff is installed, not sure how
much is actually queried by pkg-config on windows/cygwin (you need the
expansion even when the code that calls the PKG_CHECK_MODULES isn't
actually reached, as it's a syntax problem)

ciao
Christian