[Libreoffice] merging 3-4 to master ...

Jan Holesovsky kendy at suse.cz
Mon May 30 04:10:33 PDT 2011

Hi Michael, John,

On 2011-05-30 at 11:35 +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:

> > The fixes in this area seem to be done and applied only in 3.4 rc2.  From
> > looking in other areas of work on rc2, I think I am seeing the same patching
> > pattern where the rc is ahead of master.
>
> 	Yes - this is a distressing, festering wart in our lives as of today.
>
> 	*But*
>
> 	it is not really related to the process; but is particularly festering
> because the back merge (which should happen regularly) has been delayed
> by ~a month - and we are still waiting for Kendy to do that.

Yeah - terribly sorry for that :-(  Clearly, the 3.4.0 took much more of
my time than I wanted, and I was doing the m106 merge only when 'time
permitted'.  The real problem was that 1/2 of the work was done against
libreoffice-3-4 branch just before the beta when we thought it might be
+- easy, and we'd be able to get it into 3.4.0.  To save work, and to
prevent even more pain, the best was to merge the m106 first, and then
merge the rest of the libreoffice-3-4.

> 	This is, apparently related to problems merging m106. So - Kendy -
> dudie ? can you comment / and/or inject some hope ? ;-)

Indeed - so m106 is done and merged to master (see my other mail, with
subject "dev300-m106 pushed to master").  As you can see there, merging
the current libreoffice-3-4 to the master is my next priority.

> 	As more people start working on master instead of 3.4 this becomes
> increasingly urgent. Also - the longer we wait, the worse it gets as
> master diverges (I suspect). Is there any way we can parallelise that
> work ? what is the status ? how can people jump in to help out ? etc.

As explained above, the root of the trouble here is the merge of m106.
When finished (ie. now), the best is to merge any libreoffice-3-4 tag as
soon as it is produced.  This can be done nicely in parallel by whomever
volunteers [oh, and I'll be more than happy to pass it over to anyone
out there :-)]; and when we do it based on the libreoffice-3-4 tags, it
also means it would be done on weekly basis - ie. just a small amount of
conflicts, and reasonable flow of the libreoffice-3-4 improvements back
to master.

[Of course - for the ongoing 3.5, please mentally substitute
libreoffice-3-4 with libreoffice-3-5 :-)]

Regards,
Kendy