[Libreoffice] 8 combinations of Python support: do we really need that?

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Tue May 31 01:54:54 PDT 2011

Hi Tor,

On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 14:08 -0600, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> --disable-python. "Disable build of Python 2.x UNO API"
> --enable-ext-scripting-python. "Enables support for scripts in Python"
> --with-system-python. "Use Python already on system"

	Of course, there are not eight meaningful combinations; if you disable
python you get nothing at all. But is the optionality a problem ? Would
you prefer a:

	--with-python=disable,system,internal

	option instead ? if so - go for it ;-) but I don't know that it will
really help much.

	The --enable-ext-scripting-python thing is IMHO an abomination - since
it is disabled by default, and (AFAIK even if compiled, not installed)
thus ensuring that most developers don't build and run the code that we
ship.

	IMHO - that is the thing that most needs fixing; I'd love to slave that
option to enable-python (personally). Then again - the other
--enable-ext-scripting-foo things also need IMHO to be auto-enabled if
the pre-requisites are there too so ... ;-)

	HTH,

		Michael.