[Libreoffice] gnu make help needed in localization of extension descriptions

Andras Timar timar74 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 03:34:55 PDT 2011

Hi,

I developed a small feature. Now localization tools can extract
extension name and description from description.xml of our bundled
extensions (dictionaries, PDF Import, etc.). Translators will
translate them, so they will be localized in Extension Manager window.
For dmake modules I tweaked the makefiles so merging of translations
work. But I have never worked with gnu make makefiles and two modules
(swext and scripting) are using them.

The algorithm is the following. If localization is enabled, then xrmex
tool – $(XRMEX) in dmake makefiles – takes the description.xml from
the source, merges the localized names and optionally merges the
localized extension description file names and create those localized
files. Localized description.xml file and optional
description-<lang>.txt files should be packed into the extension.

For example --with-lang=fr:
This is source:
<display-name>
        <name lang="en-US">PDF Import</name>
</display-name>
<extension-description>
      <src xlink:href="description-en-US.txt" lang="en-US" />
</extension-description>

This is merged target:
<display-name>
        <name lang="en-US">PDF Import</name>
        <name lang="fr">Import PDF</name>
</display-name>
<extension-description>
      <src xlink:href="description-en-US.txt" lang="en-US" />
      <src xlink:href="description-fr.txt" lang="fr" />
</extension-description>

In addition description-fr.txt is created next to the target description.xml.

I would appreciate, if someone could help and could write the gnu make
rules for this.

Thanks,
Andras