[Libreoffice] [Libreoffice-qa] whacky parallel-install instructions ...

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 7 04:10:45 PST 2011

Hi *,

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at suse.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-11-05 at 16:50 +0100, Cor Nouws wrote:
>> Just tried to install the daily build from 2011-11-02 on my Ubuntu:
>> http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/Linux_x86_Release_Configuration/master/2011-11-05_01.05.12/
>
>        As this keeps coming back, I was amazed to read:
>
>> I install the builds in parallel:
>>    http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_in_parallel

To install the dev-snapshots, those that are labeled as LibO-Dev-…,
there is no need to go into the manual extraction procedure.

The LibO-Dev buidls will install alongside the stable versions,
without interfering with each other. That's the whole point of that
branding. (i.e. using both different installation directories and also
a different user-profile directory)

You only need to go through manual unpacking or rebasing procedures
when trying to install different versions of the same "flavor", i.e.
when installing multiple LibO-Dev builds or when you want to have
3.4.2 alongside 3.4.3

>        It looks (potentially) highly problematic. I suggest we add a big
> health warning to it.
>
>        It would (perhaps) be easier to change the install prefix and/or
> installname for our tinderbox builds. I wonder if there is an easy way
> to do that (Fridrich?) so we could just install the packages as-is.

This is already the case. Again the whole point of the LibO-Dev
branding/variant.

ciao
Christian