[Libreoffice] [RFC] make binfilter depend on tail_build

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 08:09:43 PST 2011

Sorry, that came in during LO-Conf and I somehow missed it.

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Peter Foley <pefoley2 at verizon.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to propose making binfilter depend on tail_build.
> Because binfilter is legacy code and it's 11316 lines worth of dmake
> makefiles are highly unlikly to be converted to gbuild,

Right. that would be a wasted effort indeed.

> the only way that
> binfilters's dependencies ( basic vcl xmlscript connectivity framework
> svtools offapi libxslt ) and all of their dependencies could get added to
> tail_build would be for binfilter to depend on tail_build.

Right. and the good news is: it would have no impact on non-binfilter
build, and binfilter is big enough with enough sub-dmake
to be able to keep most build machine quite buzy on its own.. so
putting it after tail_build should not impact the elapsed time too
badly

> Because binfilter is already built right before tail_build this change
> shouldn't cause any problems.

Well it is built right before tail_build because tail_build is growing
and we are getting to the point were binfilter is indeed on the
critical path.

Norbert