[Libreoffice] iOS and convert to PDF

Tor Lillqvist tml at iki.fi
Fri Nov 11 11:30:35 PST 2011

> I get this build error:

> /Users/brians/develop/libreOffice/libo/bridges/source/cpp_uno/gcc3_ios_arm/cpp2uno.cxx:491:

OK, I haven't actually compiled for the device much lately, only for
the simulator, so some bit rot might have happened. I suggest you just
compile for the simulator for now.

>>  >        ./soffice --convert-to pdf foo.docx

>>  Yup. Something like that should be doable relatively soon,

> How do you imagine something like that working? As you probably know IPC on
> iOS is restricted in some ways.

I have no idea;) The command line above was just to give an idea of
how such functionality can be invoked today on a normal desktop OS,
not to suggest actually running a process with parameters like that. I
don't know what IPC you mean here, an iOS app is just one process, it
can't start subprocesses.

DId you plan to create an app for document export to PDF, or is that
just one functionality in some other app? Anyway, in either case, to
use LibreOffice code to load some document and write it out in PDF,
your code needs call LibreOffice's UNO-based APIs. (Note that figuring
out how all the UNO "component" stuff should work on iOS where
everything is statically linked into one binary is a work in
progress...)

> I might be interested in including some LO source in my app, if that can be
> made to work technically and within License restrictions. Since I'm mainly
> interested in converting documents is it possible to isolate that code to a
> small part of the codebase?

Not "small". But large parts of the code will obviously not be needed for that.

--tml