[Libreoffice] help asked/offered for bug 36555

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Thu Nov 17 05:54:56 PST 2011

On Thu, 2011-11-17 at 12:00 +0200, Noel Grandin wrote:
> or (b) your company pays SUSE/Redhat to allocate one of their
> developers to it.

	Heh ;-) Of course, there is also Canonical, Lanedo, and any number of
other S/W consulting firms that could help out.

	But - of course you're right; the basic way to get things fixed is to
fix them yourself, and we're eager to help self-motivated problem fixers
with code pointers, tips, build help etc. etc.

	So - indeed, the first step is to get a build. After you have that,
resurrecting the old mdbtools CWS / patch set would be a good idea.

	The -real- reason we havn't shipped mdbtools in anger is that it is not
reliable / good at write support. If we are not writing into the
database - we need to migrate it to something else on load. If we are
migrating it to something else, we want to run hundreds of miles up-hill
rather than migrate tens of thousands of users to using hsqldb in anger.
So we're blocked on getting a nice sqlite backend in-tree that we're
confident enough in to replace hsqldb, such that we can resurrect the
mdbtool stuff so that ... ;-) so it is rather a linked problem.

	OTOH - it'd be great to have help with any part of that you like.

	All the best,

		Michael.