[Libreoffice] Issues important for Japanese users

Fridrich Strba fridrich.strba at graduateinstitute.ch
Thu Nov 17 07:49:57 PST 2011

I profit from the break between sessions in Gouda ODF PlugFest to dump
here a marginally interesting stuff from one presentation about features
that are important for Japanese users and that neither we nor Symphony
does well:

- Borders
	"Dialgonal Line"
		(it seems that that one we might actually do right)
	"Wave line"
	"Double wave line"
- Equal layout:
	possibility to specify that the text run will be rendered in a space of
N characters changing character width when it is too little and
expanding inter-character spaces when it is too big.

- Furigana
	Excel has a "Phonetic" function that returns transliteration of kanji
characters into hiragana. Some kanji characters can have ambiguous
transliteration and the default function is returning the most probable
transliteration. Nevertheless, one can specify property of a group
characters, called furigana that specifies a transliteration of this
group of characters.

- Input method control
	For swapping between Input method and normal character input, japanese
keyboard uses the combination of Alt + Hankaku/Zenkaku key.
Nevertheless, it might be annoying to swap between the latin characters
and input method inside Calc, because one must be switching all the time
when input is text in some cells and numbers in others.
	Excel has a cell property that specifies the input format
		- ON/OFF
		- Hiragana/katakana/alphabet
		- Full width/half width

Ok, this is just interesting for positioning on Japanese market. I hope
my understanding was clear. If not Yoshida-san might help out.

Cheers

Fridrich