[Libreoffice] report from ODF Plugfest Gouda

Cor Nouws oolst at nouenoff.nl
Fri Nov 18 09:57:55 PST 2011

Cor Nouws wrote (18-11-11 10:04)
> http://plugtest.opendocsociety.org/doku.php?id=plugfests:201111_gouda:info

The second day:

- There is a lot of good work presented at the plugfest.
All kind of applications supporting ODF, and also offering partly
support in the browser, on iOS, Android, ...
   - There was the news about an IBM Lotus Symphony Viewer, an ODF
viewer for Android and iOS.
   - WebODF brings partial support to all kind of devised too.
   - The Abiword guys hacked an initial version for Abiword in browser
(with GTK+3) - possibly inspired by the work from Michael ;-)
   - And we saw quite some companies that have been able to rapidly
developed (specific) ODF producing web-applications.
To me, it's all good and encouraging to see - the whole ODF ecosystem is
an important area that grows, and where LibreOffice is making a
substantial contribution.

- Then was some other interesting stuff on interoperability at the
plugfest. Two things about features not (yet) included in ODF.
   - One is Unique features fallback
http://plugtest.opendocsociety.org/doku.php?id=scenarios:20111118:uniquefeatures
Objective: an alternative way (fall back) to present the data in
application that do not (yet) support the feature.
   - The second: RDF
Objective: prevent that data that is not (yet) supported in other
application gets lost when round tripping with those other pps. Metadata
plays a role in this.

I was not really concentrated on details of this subject, but if I got
it right, some other apps already work with this (to a certain extend
maybe).
To me that sounds as a smart thing for the ODF ecosystem.
What do others think?

- Talking ODF ecosystem, there was the interesting presentation by Bjorn
Lundell about Document formats & office applications in the Swedish
public sector. It showed the importance of having a real open standard
as ODF for governments and other administrations. He also showed that
LibreOffice is having a balanced community for sustainable support of
ODF. The charts he had about division of developers over various groups,
were essentially the same that I showed in my presentation.

- Of course he also referred to a different kind of interoperability.
That a the subject already prominently covered with the presentation
about Libvisio - the library for importing Visio documents.
Thanks for that Fridirch. Sorry that I missed the opportunity to say
goodbye to you in Gouda ;-)

- Back to Björn from Sweden: we also discussed about the very few people
from Sweden that join e.g. on our marketing list. A pity when it comes
to sharing important announcements. So that's something that is going to
change.

Finally I need to repeat this:

> And - before I forget it in my next report: kudos for the people
> organising the event. Great work!

Next April in Brussels, hosted by Microsoft.

--
  - Cor
  - http://nl.libreoffice.org