[Libreoffice] help asked/offered for bug 36555

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Mon Nov 21 03:55:09 PST 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 12:07:03PM +0100, Winfried Donkers wrote:

> Also, considering the vast amount of messages added to bug 36555 by
> Lionel Elie Mamane and Alex Thurgood, it may be wiser to abandon my
> attempts to build LibreOffice and continue with easy hacks on my
> Linus machine?

Well, the situation is that I think I've fixed the bug (in 3.5 on 20
November 2011 with 0e9473eca6f559bc83eb061384b0db936e4ed8e1), but
haven't tested it, because:

1) I don't have a Windows build

2) Not eager to invest the time in making one

3) My plan was to wait for a Windows tinderbox to build, and test the
   result.

The untested nature of the fix keeps it off the libreoffice-3-4
branch.

If you were to test my patch (e.g. by taking the last git revision
that a tinderbox built correctly and adding my patch), that patch
could be in the libreoffice-3-4 branch "sooner" and that would make me
a bit happier (one thing less on my "TODO stack"). It would also give
your company a version of LibreOffice with that bug fixed *right*
*now* (assuming my patch indeed fixes the bug), if you compile 3.4.4 +
my patch. It would also allow your company to have _any_ fix / change
you/they want in future :)

Looking at the LibreOffice project's interest, in the short term we
would probably benefit more from your going through other
EasyHacks. Except if it makes the difference between having the fix
for 3.4.5 or not, but I dare hope the Windows build will be fixed
"soon enough" for that not to be a factor.

On the long term, my general impression is that people with a Windows
build environment and/or an interest in the Windows build and/or the
time to take care if Windows issues are rather more scarce than we'd
like, so your being one of these people could be useful in future :)

I realise I haven't given you a straight simple answer, but <shrug>,
that's the situation.

--
Lionel