[Libreoffice] Assertions and Logging

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Mon Nov 21 07:50:28 PST 2011

On Mon, 2011-11-21 at 16:23 +0100, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> True.  So an improvement probably better left for the hypothetical
> future where we have really fast save and/or save in the background.

	Of course; in a world of interactive co-editing; we should really
stream everything people edit to a journal file using that serialisation
& then replay it when we re-start ;-) [ and then kill autosave
altogether ].

	But that of course requires rather more work.

> (One thing we could IMO improve though, is to not rely on trying to
> save open documents from within a signal handler, but instead rely on
> frequent auto-save and roll back to the last saved version after a
> crash.)

	Until then, I think we need to stick with the signal handler, sadly, it
is truly ugly, and I assume it can deadlock too if the signal happens at
certain places wrt. holding mutex', remarkably few posix calls are
signal-safe.

	HTH,

		Michael.