[Libreoffice] Assertions and Logging

Eike Rathke erack at redhat.com
Mon Nov 21 10:29:59 PST 2011

Hi Stephan,

On Monday, 2011-11-21 17:53:42 +0100, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> On 11/21/2011 04:42 PM, Caolán McNamara wrote:
> >On Mon, 2011-11-21 at 14:30 +0100, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> >>SAL_INFO/WARN just go to stderr for now.  What should work to see them
> >>even for a gui soffice.exe is to add something like 2>log.txt to the
> >>command line.
> >
> >oh, does that work ? I was labouring under the misunderstanding that we
> >closed those streams under windows, or something of that nature. I'm a
> >complete windows weenie.
>
> I remember it at least used to work even with 4NT back in those days
> (the supported syntax there was the csh >&, IIRC).  No idea whether
> we started to close stderr for some reason since then, though.

From what I vaguely remember it is Windows that closes those streams for
GUI executables, at least if they point to a terminal, it might work if
redirected, don't know. In Windows builds there used to be
a solver/$INPATH/bin/guistd.com or some such that if copied to the path
of soffice.exe and renamed to soffice.com and invoked instead preserved
stdout/stderr streams. Maybe it's still built.

  Eike

GnuPG key 0x293C05FD : 997A 4C60 CE41 0149 0DB3  9E96 2F1A D073 293C 05FD