[Libreoffice] Assertions and Logging

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Wed Nov 23 07:24:55 PST 2011

On 11/22/2011 06:01 PM, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
> Well,
> first I do like the ability to use these kind of infrastructures even
> on release code...

...which I was careful to keep in mind while designing the interface.
But for the implementation, I kept it as simple as possible for now.

> you'd need more level, but having a INFO or VERBOSE mode that survive

Not sure whether we really need more levels.  (I note that all the
elaborate logging facilities do have lots of levels, but that somehow
leaves me unconvinced.)  Lets see.

>> Second, static data is a problem, as is initialize-once data in a
>> multi-threaded world.
>
> humm ?? initialize _before_ getting to the multithreaded part.

which a *library* like sal cannot do

> I'm not arguing against the format of the configuration, but against
> the delayed-parsing repeated for each and every log message.
> (which is pointless since you use an env-variable so it is an
> execution-invariant -- unless you are thinking about adding a
> uno-service to change it on the fly ;-) )

Honestly, I am not worried about the performance of the current
implementation at all.  If it should ever become a bottleneck (esp. if
we ever decide to enable logs in production builds), we could rather
easily improve it (though by adding complexity), without (that's my hope
having designed it that way) having to modify the interface.

Stephan