[Libreoffice] WaE on vcl because of qt4 module

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Nov 28 08:35:13 PST 2011

On Friday 25 of November 2011, julien2412 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> By compiling vcl module (Debian testing x86-32, WaE, debug and symbols
> enabled), I've got this :
> In file included from /usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qdatastream.h:45:0,
>                  from /usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qpair.h:45,
>                  from /usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qhash.h:49,
>                  from
> /home/maryline/compile-libreoffice/libo/vcl/unx/kde4/KDEXLib.hxx:35,
>                  from
> /home/maryline/compile-libreoffice/libo/vcl/unx/kde4/KDEData.cxx:31:
> /usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qscopedpointer.h: In static member function ‘static
> void QScopedPointerDeleter<T>::cleanup(T*)’:
> /usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qscopedpointer.h:55:5: error: declaration of
> ‘pointer’ shadows a global declaration [-Werror=shadow]

 A really helpful error message from gcc. The argument of the Qt function
shadows an unknown global declaration and gcc does not feel like saying where
it is. As long as you don't compile the file with just -E and find in the
preprocessed source where the global 'pointer' comes from, this is just
guessing, but I think it's rather good guessing that Qt is innocent here and
the problem is wherever the global 'pointer' is. I do not see any
global 'pointer' indentifier in vcl, so presumably something pollutes the
global namespace and that is what should get fixed.

 As for the Qt bugreport you've made, please close it. First of all, nobody
will fix it simply because it's most probably invalid and definitely
unhelpful (do you realize that you are asking Qt developers to rename a
function argument to something that does not clash with anything in the whole
of LibreOffice and everything it uses?). Moreover, in Qt-based land -Whadow
is (AFAICT) usually considered a nuisance rather than help (and this shows
why), so I expect nobody will even seriously look at it anyway, for a reason.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at suse.cz