[Libreoffice] Setting up a non-intrusive build cluster

Jan Holesovsky kendy at suse.cz
Mon Nov 28 13:10:30 PST 2011

Hi Marc-André,

On 2011-11-21 at 11:50 +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:

> > The expected candidate is, of course, icecream. So, more
> > pragmatically, is there any way we could set it up so that the
> > icecream daemon either shuts down or stops taking jobs when a user
> > logs in, and have it get back to life when no users are logged in.
> > This would have to include remote logins on SSH too.
>
> 	icecream currently runs at a very low CPU priority;

Not only that, IIRC it limits its memory so that it does not get the
computer swapping.  Also, it checks the load of the build slaves, and
sends the jobs to those with smallest load.

So, if at all possible, I'd ask the people to allow you to turn it on,
and hack it for this explicit switching off only when they complain ;-)
[and even in that case, I'd first monitor the complainers with 'top', if
it is really icecream ;-)]

Regards,
Kendy