[Libreoffice] [PUSHED] Fix rendering of GTK combobox in RTL

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Wed Nov 30 05:12:08 PST 2011

Hi Khaled,

	Thanks for your patch ! :-)

On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 09:11 +0200, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> Here is a little patch that fixes a rendering buglet that annoyed me
> since ever. Native GTK applications swap the position of the button and
> editing area of comboboxes in RTL and themese expect that, but LO does
> not.

	:-)

> The same issue happens with spin buttons and other similar widget, I'm
> just making sure I'm doing it right before sending other patches.

	Sure - it'd be great to have this all fixed up.

> Also I'm not sure how GTK3 relates to this (is it affected/need to be
> fixed separately etc.) since I can't build with it here.

	Sadly it'd be need to be fixed separately, that is one bit of code that
cannot be shared; but gtk3 will be highly experimental for 3.5 so ...
don't worry :-)

> BTW, Application::GetSettings().GetLayoutRTL() is now used in several
> places (and may be more will come), would it be more rideable/save a few
> microsocends to have a

	Ho hum; that method is a bit distressing, I'd hope that it would cache
the value itself, and get notifications when / if it changes.

> bool isLayoutRTL = Application::GetSettings().GetLayoutRTL()

	Updating that can be a pain if/as/when the user tweaks it in the
settings; clearly if we can do this at the top of the method, or
(better) accelerate the GetLayoutRTL impl. itself ;-)

	Having said that we hsould prolly be using:

inc/vcl/outdev.hxx:    sal_Bool                IsRTLEnabled() const
{ return mbEnableRTL; }

	on the OutputDevice if we have one around to improve efficiency.

	Another minor nit; it looks like the combo doesn't join up very
elegantly with the drop-down in some themes [ cf. the attached image ]
when in LTR mode - any thoughts on that ?

	Anyhow - I pushed the nice improvement :-)

	Thanks,

		Michael.