[Libreoffice] ODBC handles, a quibble

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Mon Oct 3 03:06:00 PDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-29 at 12:02 -0400, Terrence Enger wrote:
> Silly me!  While reading some of the LibreOffice code for
> ODBC connections, I started to look at ...
>
>     ISO/IEC FCD 9075-3:2006(E)
>     Title: Information technology - Database Languages - SQL
>         - Part 3: Call-Level Interface (SQL/CLI)
>     <http://jtc1sc32.org/doc/N1501-1550/32N1527T-text%20for%20FCD%209075-3.pdf>
>
> This passage in section "4.4.1 Handles" catches my eye:
>
>     The validity of a handle in a compilation unit other
>     than the one in which the identified resource was
>     allocated is implementation-defined.

If I had to guess, I'd take it as something alone the lines of "handles
may be implemented as pointers, and in windows 16 they might be
implemented as near pointers. That kind of thing.

Anyway, isn't it the case that ODBC is *based* on the SQL/CLI, so it
layers additional features and lesser constraints on top of it.

C.