[Libreoffice] ODBC handles, a quibble

Terrence Enger tenger at iseries-guru.com
Mon Oct 10 08:12:07 PDT 2011

On Sun, 2011-10-09 at 15:27 +0200, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:

> I did not read *all* of it, but it seems the ODBC documentation
> contains no such madness. So my guess is that the Microsoft
> "implementation" of SQL-CLI that is ODBC defines that handles cross
> compilation units. IMHO the other implementations of ODBC better
> follow that, or I'm not sure it is worth supporting them in
> LibreOffice.

Not worth supporting:  That is a nice, polite way of putting it.

If we knew what drivers or driver managers violate the common
expectation, it might well be worthwhile to warn against using them.
But I can think of no better way to find them than to wait for
complaints about something not working.  It all sounds quite unlikely.

> And on a nitpicking level, ODBC has a relationship to ISO/IEC
> 9075-3:1995, not 9075-3:2006 :) But indeed I guess that 9075-3:1995
> contains the same language.

Yes, the 1995 version has exactly the same sentence.