[Libreoffice] LibreOffice Android port

Tor Lillqvist tml at iki.fi
Sun Oct 16 23:06:58 PDT 2011

> I'm an experienced Java developer with solid knowledge of GNU/Linux and Android
> and I want to join the team,

Great! Welcome!

> so can someone give me some pointers where should I start,

Look at the "normal" information on how to start contributing to
LibreOffice in our wiki, follow the same rough scenario:
- Talk to us on our IRC channel.
- Clone the anongit repository (if necessary use the provided
pre-loaded tarball snapshot of such a clone, it's often faster than
cloning from anongit).
- Download build dependencies, if any.
- Learn how to build LibreOffice for your desktop platform (Linux  or
MacOSX, presumably; cross-compiling from Windows is not recommended
and certainly has never been tested).
- Then familiarise yourself with what has been done for Android
cross-compilation, read
http://www.iki.fi/tml/libocon2011-xcompiling.pdf and the README.cross
file, try out configuring such a cross-build, run a make, see what
happens,
- Start experimenting with adding a Java main program on top, etc.

> who should I contact, what do I need to join the team...

I don't think we have any official team "membership" criteria; If you
submit good patches to this mailing list they will be accepted and
pushed, and eventually then if you want to, you will get direct push
access to our code repository, and as long as you keep working on LO
you can consider yourself a team member;)

Now, obviously for something new like an Android port where tons of
stuff has not been designed much at all yes, there needs to be lots of
discussion on this mailing list about what to do, actually, both
technical details and what the end result(s) should be...

--tml