[Libreoffice] gdb: info mutex

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Tue Oct 18 07:07:15 PDT 2011

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael Stahl <mstahl-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> writes:

Michael> have just found a great python command for GDB by Tom Tromey called
Michael> "info mutex":
Michael> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/archer/2010-q3/msg00024.html
Michael> looks very helpful for debugging a deadlock:

Just be warned, it is a bit broken.  It has some heuristics to see when
a thread is attempting to acquire a lock, but these do not always yield
the correct answer.  Still, it shouldn't be too misleading, as you can
always dig around manually to verify what it says.

Also I think you need glibc debuginfo installed for it to work at all.

We hope to write a better version, replacing the heuristics with hidden
breakpoints on sdt.h probe points in glibc.  I think the probes might be
there (in Fedora, but probably not anywhere else, as upstream rejected
the probes), but we haven't written the gdb side yet.

Tom