[Libreoffice] [Libreoffice-commits] .: writerperfect/source

Terrence Enger tenger at iseries-guru.com
Thu Oct 27 05:54:45 PDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-10-25 at 09:16 +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:

> In general, and if the expression's value is not used, prefix
> increment/decrement is preferable to postfix, as the former conceptually
> avoids creation of a temporary that makes the old, unmodified value
> available as the expression's value.

Just to be picky, if my memory of C++ serves, ...

(*) For built-in types, it is true that prefix and postfix
    increment/decrement have the same effect on the variable.

(*) For STL iterators, I guess that the same statement is true.  At
    least, I think that a violation of the symmetry would have
    provoked my "Oh, eeeuuuw!" reflex so strongly that I would
    remember it.  <grin />

(*) For class types in general, the prefix and postfix operators can
    be completely different.  In my opinion, it is evil to do this;
    but the language allows it.

Terry.