[Libreoffice] Trinity Desktop Environment (TDE) desktop integraton for LibreOffice

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Mon Oct 31 02:53:14 PDT 2011

Hi Timothy,

On Sun, 2011-10-30 at 21:54 -0500, Timothy Pearson wrote:
> I have created a patch that enables Trinity Desktop Environment (TDE, the
> successor to KDE3.5.10) desktop integration for LibreOffice.  The patch is
> based against a copy of the LibreOffice GIT pulled on 10/28/2011 and has
> been tested as fully functional on the latest TDE release (v3.5.13).

	Great ! :-) you managed to get past the vcl updates we did recently,
which is good.

> This move is required for continued desktop integration support on TDE

	So - of course, we're interested in included your code, and supporting
TDE. The only real question is: how best to do that in a clean and
maintainable way - particularly as we start to change VCL more
aggressively.

> as TDE has diverged significantly enough from the old KDE 3.5.10 release API
> that the KDE3 integration modules no longer function within TDE desktop
> sessions.

	Fine.

>   Additionally, we would like to ability to repair minor
> imperfections noted within the integration modules, and potentially expand
> the integration module(s) where needed.

	Great.

> The Trinity Desktop Project developers are willing to ensure that the TDE
> integration modules continues to function with new TDE releases.

	Even better - it is already quite hard to test VCL changes that impact
the backend, so the more we can share there the more easily we can keep
your stuff building.

> The patch file is available in our GIT tree here:
> http://git.trinitydesktop.org/viewgit/index.php?a=tree&p=Trinity%20Desktop%20Environment&hb=HEAD&f=main/thirdparty/libreoffice/git_10_28_2011/patches

	So - my normal instinct here would be to merge your first patch
immediately :-) and do a little dance as well.

	In this case, I think we need to consider maintainability quite
carefully, and perhaps there are a few tricks here that we can do to
reduce the amount of work and code duplication necessary to support TDE
just as well.

	Lets discuss that privately with Lubos, but I think we can get this
fixed up and merged for the 3.5 release (freeze is Dec 5th) quite
easily.

	Thanks for your work !

	Regards,

		Michael.