[Libreoffice] Bringing some sanity to interline spacing

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Fri Sep 2 03:23:14 PDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 23:31 +0200, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 02:43:53PM +0100, Caolán McNamara wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 11:47 +0200, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> > > I just tested with a simple lorem ipsum document with Liberation Serif;
> > > page count went down from 24 to 22 after applying the patch
> >
> > Comparison with MSWord will be good to do too, with/without the "use
> > extra leading" compatibility option.
>
> MSWord is not known for its sane handling of font metrics, and I have
> been told recent (2007-) broke it even further.

Hum, ending up with .docs, .docxs, .rtfs that layout even further from
their original how-they-layout-in-word, while pre-existing .odts and so
forth also change layout sounds somewhat worrying :-). We may have to
cook up a "use-old-school-metrics" compatibility flag or something like
that along the lines of some similar flags we already have. I might try
and play around the area.

C.