[Libreoffice] ccache support

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 09:35:44 PDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Terrence Enger <tenger at iseries-guru.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-08-30 at 12:56 -0500, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
>
>> 2/ I had a spike in IRC questions/confusions from new tentative
>> contributors on that topic, so I wanted to make it as newbie friendly
>> as possible. iow a 'just fscking work' approach.
>
> Cache compression is advertised as saving space in the cache in return
> for a modest increase in compilation time.  For me, it is the clear
> choice: I see the improved cache usage, and I do not notice the
> increased time.

Well, my boxes are usually cpu bound (even with a fully hot ccache)
and I have plenty of space for my ccache, so that is not that clear a
choice to me.

> I wonder if any of our hackers using ccache would have the contrary
> opinion.  IOW, should our configuration enable compression
> unconditionally?  As an option to autogen.sh?  (FWIW, I have changed
> my local set_soenv.in to enable compression unconditionally, and I
> have completed one successful build.)

you can set that up with an env variable right ? so you can easily
make ccache behave the way you want, 'automatically', for you. (i.e
export CCACHE_COMPRESS=1 in your bashrc)

I don't do that in configure for the same reason we don't change
CCACHE_DIR or the cache dir size.
Using ccache if available is one thing... but trying to
'auto-magically' optimize ccache is another can of worms altogether...

Norbert