[Libreoffice] 3.5 release from QA to point-zero

Cor Nouws oolst at nouenoff.nl
Tue Sep 13 12:42:20 PDT 2011

Hi Caolán,

Caolán McNamara wrote (13-09-11 12:30)
> On Tue, 2011-09-13 at 08:26 +0200, Cor Nouws wrote:
>> Hope I have made my concerns a bit more clear now.
>
> Not really, I'm probably in the same boat as Kohei and somewhat confused

Ah good to read. Real devs never are good in understanding my more
abstract communications :-)

> by the whole thread. Maybe we need *shorter* emails that don't try to be
> polite ;-) Problem at the top, proposed solutions afterwards.

So:
I have seen no data that convinces me that there is enough time between
feature freeze and release to ensure reasonable quality.
And I have reasons to be cautious, because I know how hard it is to make
time free for good testing and reporting + that we see so little
LOMaster bugs being reported, which I consider a sign of lack of
attention, rather than a sign of absence of bugs.

Thus the solution is: earlier feature freeze.

That is short .. however, maybe I overlook some data/facts, and have a
wrong understanding of the situation. (Therefore my apparently to
complicated attempt to get first a mutual understanding of the playing
field etc.)

> "I think 3-5 will be a crap release because there's too many changes
> that I don't think we'll be able to test between now and release", is
> that the summary ? or "I believe 3-4 was a crap release because of X, Y
> and Z, I think we can avoid that by D".

Ah yes, short too. I choose the first. But that is neither my style, nor
my belief - only my fear.

> I never felt we got specifics on the "3-4 was bad". I'm not saying it

Devs experince this different from people in marketing and l10n groups, IMO.

(
> So to try and avoid
> getting caught by windows-specific bugs we are now making windows
> dailies available. That should help on that front anyway.

which is great! )

--
  - Cor
  - http://nl.libreoffice.org